July 4, 2012
I love simple desserts. When it's a holiday, and I have to prepare a meal for more people than I'm used to...simple desserts are my best friend.
Parfaits are one of the easiest things you can throw together to please a large crowd. They taste great and look so cute, especially when served in mini mason jars like these Patriotic Parfaits I made for our 4th get-together.
Just whip up some homemade pudding (yes, you can use the boxed kind...but it's just doesn't taste the same to me), then customize it any way you like with different fruits, candy, whipped topping, etc. You can get really creative with parfaits, or keep it simple with a layer of strawberries, pudding, and blueberries. I topped these with a Honey Ginger Cream Cheese Fluff that I had leftover from a post coming soon. Yum! These are definitely slurp-worthy.
I hope you all have a great holiday. Happy 4th of July!
Serves: 4 Printable Recipe
1 cup vanilla pudding (preferably homemade)
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup blueberries
3 tbsp sugar
colored sugar for decorating glasses/jars
Honey Ginger Cream Cheese Fluff:
4 oz cream cheese - softened
1 1/2 tbsp honey
4 oz whipped topping (thawed) or whipped cream
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1. Make up your pudding, refrigerate until chilled.
2. Whip the cream cheese, honey, ginger and nutmeg together until smooth and creamy.
3. Gently fold in the whipped topping. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Thinly slice your strawberries and toss with about 3 tbsp sugar, depending on how sweet you like your strawberries.
5. Once pudding is chilled, start assembling your parfaits:
- Spread a thin layer of honey around the rim of your glasses or jars (you can use lime juice too).
- Turn jar upside down and dip in the sugar until evenly coated.
- In each jar, add a layer of strawberries, a layer of pudding and a layer of blueberries.
- Top with a dollop of the ginger cream cheese fluff. Sprinkle with additional decorative sugar if desired. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.