March 17, 2011
"Mommy, I really need some quiet time today."
I tried to hide my grin and smother my chuckle, and went on my way thinking nothing of it. A little while later, he comes to me and says:
"Mommy, I need a bath".
O.K, now I'm starting to think something is weird. I tell myself that if he starts asking for green vegetables and a nap, I know I'm losing it.
I think the weather has affected him. We had 70 degree weather a few days ago, which turned into pouring rain and hail yesterday, and now it is snowing today. I feel like I've stepped into the twilight zone, although everyone who lives in the Ozarks will tell you, if you don't like the weather - just wait 5 minutes and it will change. Let me tell you, after 10 years of living here I've found this to be absolutely true.
What do all of these random things have to do with food you say? Nothing really:) Except that each of these out-of-the-ordinary events led me to make this tasty recipe. Chocolate Chip Streusel Bread.
So, with the patience of a saint, I began working on another loaf. I was so mad at myself for ruining my first bread, that I decided to experiment with the ingredients and came up with this Chocolate Chip Streusel Bread. It turned out really good, and I love the combination of the crunchy streusel with the chocolate chip bread.
Don't worry though, I promise to post (a successful) Apple Pie Bread soon:)
Chocolate Chip Streusel Bread
prep: 35 mins bake: 1 hour servings: 14 slices
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 milk buttermilk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and 3 tbsp of flour. Using a fork or your fingers, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the 1/3 cup of chopped nuts. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in sugar until combined. Add the buttermilk and baking powder; beat until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt; beat until combined. Now stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
4. Spoon the batter into the greased pan, and spread evenly. Sprinkle the Streusel topping over the batter.
5. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.